Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Owlscribe Goes Vegetarian - err Somewhat

   
Sweet Potato Burritos Credi:" Allrecipes.com
    After watching a spate of films dealing with food, health and nutrition, I've decided to go vegetarian. An addicted carnivore, I know I'd not be able to give up meat on a daily basis, but after watching "The Future of Food," "Food, Inc.", "Fed Up," "Dr. Andrew Weil: Guide to Good Eating," "Secrets to Good Health" and "Super Size Me" (all available on Netflix), I decided to go vegetarian - one day a week.
   Another thing that made me reconsider my eating habits is the reports of how inhumanely the food industry is raising animals like chickens and hogs. And programs on WQED featuring food gurus and health experts also contributed to my decision.
    Last week, I had my first completely vegetarian day and I didn't miss the animal protein. I made a recipe for sweet potato burritos I had lying around for quite a while from Allrecipes.com and while good, I decided to add cilantro to the mix the next time I make them. If anyone has a knock-out vegetarian dish and would like to share, email it to me at owlscribe@yahoo.com.
    For those interested in the recipe, here goes:

Sweet Potato Burritos (Makes 12)
1 Tbls. vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups canned kidney beans, drained
2 cups water
3 Tbls. chili powder
2 Tsp. ground cumin
4 Tsp. prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
3 Tbls. soy sauce
4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
12 (10-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream, salsa and chopped green onions

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in medium skillet and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans and mash. Gradually stir in water and heat until warm.Remove from heat and stir in chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce.
Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese, fold up tortillas burrito style and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven and serve. Top with sour cream, chopped green onions and salsa.


1 comment: